Vice President, Program Strategy Lead Hematology
Cambridge, MA, USA
MD, PhD, PhD and/or MD, DO, M.S.
November 15, 2023
Corporate (Biotech or Pharmaceutical)
November 15-December 15, 2023
The Vice President Program Strategy Lead , Hematology, will lead a multi-functional development team from proof of concept trials through marketing authorizations. This leader will focus primarily on FTX-6058 (Hematology), about which Fulcrum has recently reported Phase 1 proof-of-mechanism and proof-of-biology results in healthy volunteers. Additionally FTX-6058 has demonstrated proof of concept in an ongoing Phase 1b in Sickle Cell Disease. This program has the potential to move quickly through development to marketing applications. Fulcrum aims to deliver this drug as quickly as possible to people living with sickle cell disease and other beta-globinopathies. This leader will be responsible for the strategy and execution of that strategy that will bring this drug forward through the next phases of development, including global regulatory interactions, for sickle cell disease as well as other indications. This role will report directly to the SVP, Business & Corporate Development. Given the high profile of this program, this leader will interact regularly with the R&D leadership team, the executive team, and the board of directors within the company and with key external stakeholders ranging from individual people living with these hematologic diseases to payors.
- Drive strategy for the program to ensure rapid and efficient development including late-phase development (such as clinical trials) and new drug launch preparations
- Work collaboratively with R&D and Functional leader in developing strategy and execution plans
- Through the team’s program manager and each functional representative, ensure that the strategy is executed on time and on budget
- Anticipate and proactively mitigate risks to the program in conjunction with program management
- Build and maintain a high-functioning, multi-disciplined and cross-functional program team
- Ensure the team operates with the highest scientific and medical integrity
- Through functional members, develop a set of external expert advisers that will collaborate on strategy and execution.
- Create a nurturing creative environment on the team that fosters collaboration
- Represent the team at internal governance meetings, with the support of team members
- Represent the program and Fulcrum externally with interactions with health authorities/regulators, scientists, clinicians, patients, and patient advocacy events
- An advanced degree, such as PhD, MD, DO, or PharmD,
- Experience in rare diseases is a preferred.
- 10+ years of biopharmaceuticals experience, preferably in R&D and preferably in either clinical development or program leadership
- Early and late development experience is preferred
- Proven success in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, smaller company environment is highly desired.
- Previous experience building teams and leading teams.
- Prior experience of managing complex budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous environment and drive towards results.
- Strong interpersonal skills including developing relationships at all levels in an organization and external to the organization to influence business objectives.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and to building team and company culture.
- Analytical, strategic thinker with good problem-solving skills.
- Articulate and persuasive in both scientific and business forums.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Location and Travel:
- This is a Boston based position (Fulcrum’s office is in Cambridge)
- Anticipate 10-20% travel as travel expands once again
About the Employer
Fulcrum Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on improving the lives of patients with genetically defined rare diseases in areas of high unmet medical need. Fulcrum’s two lead programs in clinical development are losmapimod, a small molecule for the treatment of facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (FSHD) and FTX-6058, a small molecule designed to increase expression of fetal hemoglobin for the treatment of sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies, including beta-thalassemia. The company’s proprietary product engine, FulcrumSeekTM, identifies drug targets that can modulate gene expression to treat the known root cause of gene mis-expression.
26 Landsdowne Street
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
back to top